The DeSmet Family

The DeSmet Family
Kelly, Valerie, Julia, Ella and Tucker

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Random thoughts with Valerie and Co.......

We decided to take a walk down to the DQ for a little ice cream treat today.  These are just some random thoughts and questions that came into my head as we walked a few short blocks down the busy streets of Beijing.  #1)  I am not sure that adult women should wear clothes that have panda bear stuffed animals sewn onto them.  #2)  Is it strange that I am more afraid of being hit by a bicycle here than a car???  #3)  Ella, "Oh no mom it's raining."  Me, "Honey, that is not rain, that would be all the air conditioners dripping on our heads."  Seriously needed an umbrella!  #4) Look out Ella there are some more blond fan stalkers looking at you.  Walk a little quicker.  #5) Yes, finally we are at DQ.  We look at the pictures in the menu.  Julia, "Oh yes!  They have mint Oreo blizzards."  Ummm,  yeah,  it's green and there is definitely chocolate cookies in there, but note to self:  green ice cream in China is NOT mint!  Green ice cream here is actually green tea flavored ice cream.  BLAK!!!  #6)  There are A LOT of interesting smells in China.......very few are good.  #7)  They are very cost effective here.  To save money on diapers,  they just don't have their little ones wear diapers or pants.  Brilliant...I have seen more nakey babies butts here in week than I had my whole life.  #8)  Julia, "I'm pretty sure there is so much air pollution because everyone here smokes!"  Ella, "Their lungs are gonna be trashed anyway,  does it matter?" 
So far, there is never a dull moment here.  Everyday is an adventure and a blessing and I am so glad I can see this all through my kids eyes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment