The DeSmet Family

The DeSmet Family
Kelly, Valerie, Julia, Ella and Tucker

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Persimmons from Simon

Today my Mandarin teacher, Laoshi Simon,(sounds like l-ou-sure) brought along some persimmons for us to try.  They are native to China and are called shizi here. (sounds like sured zu)  They are to be eaten very ripe.  So ripe in fact that you have to scoop it out with a spoon.  It really was quite mushy and jelly like, and not exactly cohesive with my palate.  Ella said it looked like baby poop and wouldn't even try it.  They look like little pumpkins but are in the berry family.  They say that they have some medicinal purposes such as reducing heart attacks and fat metabolism....(everything here has medicinal purposed) I guess I am going to have to make myself like them.  They really aren't that bad.  I am glad that I have gotten to try some of the different local fruits and vegetables.  There are things over here that I would have NEVER had even heard of!!

This is the persimmon....Kelly thought it was a rotten tomato!!
You pull the top stem out and scoop out the middle with a spoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment